Wed, Sep 29|
Latest Strategies for Buying and Selling a Business
Come join us for a robust and sophisticated discussion of one the most challenging transactions in the business world. Two hours of CPE credit for participants who attend and meet polling questions requirements.
Time & Location
Sep 29, 2021, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM EDT
About the Event
Selling a business is almost always both an exhilarating and enervating event for the people involved, and the outcomes after a tense and fraught negotiation are predictably unpredictable: The final results can range from good to bad to, well, REALLY BAD.
The dollar amounts are big (and sometimes huge), the emotional stakes are through the roof, and the stresses can lead to untoward behavior by some participants and equally dysfunctional responses in kind. In short, a head-on, full-contact purchase and sale negotiation often resembles nothing so much as a high school cafeteria food fight – an event that would be chaotic and fun, except for the fact that your life savings are at stake.
The purpose of this seminar is to cut through the grandstanding and posturing and examine the latest strategies and structuring ideas that lead to successful transactions. The program will start with the basics, review similarities and differences among sales involving C corporations, S corporations and LLCs, and then identify common patterns that emerge from successful negotiations – and common pitfalls that trip up the unsuccessful efforts.
Joining Jay for this program will be:
- Neil Dennis, Managing Director, Woodbridge International
- Eric Swan, Corporate Attorney specializing in M&A transactions at Swan Law PC
- Kim Furnald, CLU, Estate Planning and Private Business Solutions
Our outstanding and extraordinarily experienced panel will discuss the latest developments in the business acquisition world, including:
- How to structure “rollover” transactions.
- How to implement an “F in the bubble” transaction in an S corporation.
- How to structure an installment sale transaction and the different considerations.
- Best practices for buy-sell agreement for your new company.
- The true “market” consensus on the representations and warranties – all the lingo you never knew before and need to know immediately.
- Strategies to bridge price differences using “earn-outs.”
- What are reasonable terms for non-competes, non-solicitation agreements and other post-closing covenants.
Come join us for a robust and sophisticated discussion of one the most challenging transactions in the business world.
Two hours of CPE credit for participants who attend and meet polling questions requirements.
4:00 p.m. – 5:40 p.m. Seminar
5:40 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Q&A